Perfect Houses in Mitchells Plain: Seeing a Home’s True Potential
For many of us, we have a romantic picture of what the house we will buy, should look like. Unless you are a speculator or someone looking for something that you can renovate to sell for a neat profit, you probably have an image of your perfect home somewhere within your mind. For many it’s a matter of ‘I’ll know it when I see it’.
However, you very soon find yourself looking at a variety of houses for sale in Mitchells Plain (or elsewhere) only to discover that none of the properties that you are viewing make the grade and you are left somewhat disappointed. Walls are screaming for paint, tiles are chipped or missing, the carpets seem to have been there for more years than you have been alive, the yard is in a state…it’s just not the pretty picture you had in your mind.
Now be careful not to write off a house based on things that are easy to fix. Instead, try to see the potential of the property that you are viewing and use the negative points as leverage. You need to look at this property through ‘rose-tinted’ shades.
You will need to differentiate between what is impossible to fix or change, what would simply cost to much to fix or change, and what is relatively easy or cheap to fix or change. So for example, if you want a large kitchen and the house has a small kitchen with no way to extend it, then this can’t be changed. If the property has structural damage, it is most likely going to cost a lot of money to fix it. If the carpets are in desperate need for replacing, this is a relatively cheap thing to change.
Here is a list of a 5 things which you might find wanting, but which may be simply hiding the true potential of your ‘perfect’ Mitchells Plain house.
1. Walls: These naturally grab our attention quickly. Whether they desperately need paint, or are painted in a colour that you simply can’t stand, or even have wallpaper from the 70’s, try to see them in a fresh coat of paint in the colour of your choice. Would this change your opinion of this house? A fresh coat of paint is a very cheap ‘fix-up’.
2. Floors: Old carpets or chipped tiles can easily be replaced. A good sand-down and varnish can make a scruffy wooden floor spring to life. You could even make this ‘fix-up’ a condition of the sale or use it to knock down the price a little.
3. Cupboards: Whether these are in need of repair or there simply aren’t enough, cupboards can be repaired or added quite easily.
4. Kitchen: If the kitchen is too small and it can’t be expanded, then there is really nothing you can do about it. However, if it just looks outdated or is in need of new appliances, this is an easy ‘fix’. A fresh coat of paint and a new counter top could do a lot to transform a kitchen.
5. Garden: A garden that has been left to ruin can be a serious eyesore to a property. Here you will need to put on those rose-tinted glasses and imagine that landscaped garden you would love to have. The beauty of a garden is that you can grow and shape it over time and so it really can be budgeted for with much flexibility.
As you can see, with just a little bit of imagination and perhaps some negotiation, you could easily find your dream home among the many houses for sale in Mitchells Plain. It may just be a diamond in the rough.